Sunday, January 02, 2011

My Baby Shower- December 1, 2010

Knowing me well, my friend, Jen, called and instead of asking me if I wanted a baby shower, she asked what kind of a shower I wanted.  I told her I was fine (after all, it is my 6th daughter, plus I have had showers with 3 of them) but she insisted.  What a sweetheart, huh?  :)  I just don't like making others go out of their way for me or burdening them, and it makes me nervous to open presents because I want to show just how much I appreciate each gift, so I get a little stressed.  However, I really enjoyed being surrounded by these dear friends and family and felt very loved!!  :)

(Pictured-- First, these two pictures make me smile!  I just want to say that these three ladies are some of my favorite people!  I have so much love, respect, and admiration for them and the lives that they lead.  I feel very blessed to have them in my life.  The first picture is of Vanessa, myself, and Jen.  And the second picture is of Rachel and myself.)

Jen was the head of throwing my shower and did a lot, but she is also so awesome at getting helpers (a quality that I wish I was better at.)  Vanessa had the shower at her house (and has had practically every baby shower, or many other events, at her house, that I have been to in the last 4 1/2 years!  She is so generous!)  My friends, Julina (who unfortunately got sick and couldn't come!) and Susan, also helped.  I appreciate so much what everyone did, on my behalf.  It was truly wonderful! 
 

After we all chatted and ate all the yummy treats for a while, we played a little game.  It was pretty fun!  Everyone was suppose to write names for the baby, that fit with our other daughters' names-- 3 syllables ending in "a."  There were some really funny ones-- Placenta, Hernia, Mahana (the 10 cow wife!), Shaneequwa (a joke of mine and my sisters for years), Lufawnda (I'm pretty much 100% sure that she is my sole-mate), etc.  I was totally laughing!  (Pictured below- my sister, Liz, and my Mom, laughing too!)

  
  
I received many wonderful gifts (both at the shower and later) including a homemade quilt with a soccer ball on it from my sister-in-law, Mandy, 2 sets of homemade flower hair clips for our 6 daughters from my friend, Rachel (not the one pictured above), tons and tons...and tons! of diapers and wipes (definitely useful and appreciated!!), a few freezer meals (which is what I needed the most- so awesome!), a couple loaves of homemade bread that my Mom made (the best homemade bread ever!!  They didn't last long!), and lots of other amazing gifts (toys, outfits, blankets, etc.)!  Best of all, was just enjoying the presence of all those who were able to come.  One surprise, my little sister, Liz, who lives out of town, was able to come because her husband became ill after Thanksgiving and they weren't able to go home!  (I didn't even invite her because I didn't think there was any way she could come and didn't want to make her feel bad, so I was pretty happy that she could make it!  Her husband was better and they were able to go home the next day.)
 Thank you, thank you, thank you to everyone for helping me feel very loved!!  I love you all!  :)

3 comments:

Jen Hakes said...

We love you too! Can't wait to meet little ______a.

Mike and Julina said...

I was so bummed that I was sick that day! I really wanted to be there for you! Happy baby shower to you!

Elizabeth C said...

I was thrilled to be able to come to your shower. It was a lovely event, and I'm so glad that Mark planned his sickness so well ;) so I could be there too!