

Here is the story I, Angela, wrote about my experience with American Idol Auditions, that I sent to the local newspapers today, September 20, 2006. Do I sound a little bitter? Whoops! I really don't regret doing it at all, I just wanted people to get a sense of what it is really like. The pictures are: 1. The day we registered with bracelets 2. Us in line 3. Hottie William Hung aka most popular AI reject 4. The Crowd 5. The Crowd Singing "Rain Drops" 6. Ryan Seacrest 7. Us in Crowd 8.The Booths we sang at 9. Us right before singing
TV "Reality"
Yesterday, I awoke in the wee hours of the morning, with my brother, Dan, and sister, Elizabeth, to try-out for arguably the most popular show on television. I have always been a huge fan of American Idol and agree that they have discovered some huge "stars" Kelly Clarkson and Carrie Underwood were my favorites. We had already pre-registered on Monday, and were given a "bracelet” which we were told not to remove! We were also given a ticket, with an assigned seat, based on when you registered (registration began on Sunday morning at 6:00 am.) We arrived at Key Arena Tuesday morning at approximately 5:30 am and joined the many others, waiting in line. We were able to meet some nice friends and listen to others sing. Luckily, we spent most of our time under a covered area, while others were in the pouring rain. After three hours of waiting, we were able to say hi to William Hung, the most popular American Idol reject, who was with KUBE 93. Once inside Key Arena, we sat in our seats and were guided through singing a couple of songs and chants, with the group, while they filmed us. We sang "We Built this City on Rock and Roll" and "Rain Drops Keep Falling on My Head" and chanted things like "Don't Worry Simon, it's just rain" or "Welcome to Seattle." Then we "were so lucky" to be able to see Ryan Seacrest, and they filmed more with him. Finally, at 11:30 am, we were able to start singing. They lined up 11 tables along the floor, with 2-3 preliminary judges at each. As they did this, Nigel, the producer, spoke with us. Then they proceeded with letting all approximately 9,000 of us sing, in groups of four. About 50-60 people of different sizes, styles, races, singing abilities, etc. were given "golden tickets," and advanced to see the producers, then on to the judges (including the next William Hung and someone dressed as Uncle Sam). We had our chance to sing at 5:30 p.m. We each sang for about 30 seconds. None of us made it. I imagine that they finished at about 6:30, that evening. It was a memorable experience and I am glad that I did it. After all, I learned a lot and I will be able to share this experience, through all the pictures we took, with my brother and sister, and family.
Actual "Reality"Yesterday morning, I had an experience that will forever ruin "reality" television, as I know it! I pulled my exhausted body out of bed at 3:00 am to perfect my appearance for American Idol Auditions. I had spent the weekend in the hospital for a tonsil abscess, and on pain medication, however, this was the last eligible year for me to tryout and they happened to be in Seattle, so this was my last chance. So I packed my bags: a lunch, my antibiotics, my release form (in which I signed away my life-- just kidding), my ticket (which I am sure some people waited in lines for hours on Sunday to receive, however, by Monday, when I registered, there were no lines), my bracelet on my wrist, my two forms of ID, etc. When my brother, Dan, sister, Elizabeth, and her 5 month old baby arrived, we left my Lacey house at 4:00 am. When we arrived at Key Arena, we were appalled to see a line about a mile long, which wrapped in and out of the columns of the buildings on Seattle Center. We finally found the end of the line and began our three-hour wait, in the pouring rain. We all wondered why we were told to arrive between 5:00 and 6:00 am, when we all pre-registered for assigned seating. Then we saw the cameras, moving around, catching the thousands of us in our pathetic condition, hundreds of umbrellas in Seattle. What a sight for TV! How perfect right? We were told the doors would open anytime between now and 8:00 am. Oh and that we would not be able to bring in any outside food. Also while in line, we were handed different promotions for FOX's new fall line-up. At 8:00 am, we proceeded to wind around, making our way toward our destination- a dry, warm seat! As we walked, we saw a "homeless person's dream” unopened packages of food all along the trail. When we made it inside our jail for the day, we took our places as pawns on the chess board of American Idol. We were taught two songs and told to sing and smile, with enthusiasm, and look into the camera. They taped that over and over and over and... Then we were taught chants to scream and smile, and look excited and they taped that over and over and over. Then because we did "the best of any city," they were going to bring out a special guest, who turned out to be the conceited, Ryan Seacrest. And we were told that we were so "lucky" because they do not bring him to every city (yeah right). Then we were told to sit down, shut up, and "enjoy our five minutes of fame." We were also told to turn off our cameras and phones, scream as loud as we could (that was great for our voices, but I am sure they didn't care), wave our hands in the air, and look happy. After doing this for three hours, they finally brought out 11 booths, and preliminary judges- who knows what, if anything, they knew about judging our singing. As they did this, Nigel, the producer, proceeded to tell us, that we could have the best voice in here and not make it past this round, because it wasn't about our voices, it was about the "X-factor." After all, "Jennifer Lopez and Britney Spears can't sing but they sell records." So we began singing. As we sat there and watched each person sing, I thought "wow, that person can sing" but they didn't make it. Or "wow, that person is very beautiful," but they didn't make it either. I was totally confused as to how they were picking people. Though I did notice the easiest judge passed about half the "winners," while the other harder judges only passed 2-3 people each. So it was a lot, the luck of the draw. There were lots of people in tears, but every once in a long while, someone would win a "golden ticket" and we would all scream for them. After being awake for 12 hours, I was starving, and with no end in sight, I felt forced to go pay $8.50 for a chicken burger and 15 fries, as we were not allowed to leave Key Arena. While I wandered around, people were scattered around rehearsing their songs. I thought what an amazing bunch of people, from different walks of life were here. They were each unique and so talented in their own ways. Some had the most amazing voices I have ever heard, and yet they did not make it either. I returned to my seat and after waiting to sing for 6 hours, our section was called down. Dan, Elizabeth, and I were able to sing in the same group. After we each sang for about 30 seconds, we were brought forward and told we weren't "strong enough." So that was it! After a 17 hour day, our chance at fame was over. I left Key Arena with good company and about 8, 950 of them. Although, who were the real winners here? Did I really want to continue a lot of the same that I had experienced that day? Did I really want American Idol to make a whole lot of money off of my sacrifices? No wonder why Kelly Clarkson won't let her songs be sung on the show. I guess, I am just not cut out for that lifestyle. Today, I am glad to be home with my husband and four beautiful daughters, who love me for exactly who I am and not a fake "reality."
5 comments:
You are a rock, Angela! Singing in the chapel beats singing on national tv any day!
P.S. I think the "x-factor" must mean half-naked. That is all that I can think of that Brittney Spears and J-Lo have in common!;)
You are amazing! I was always jealous of the fact you had no fear to sing in front of people...that always terrifies me. I know you are better than Britney Spears and J-Lo too!! :)
Thanks guys! Good thing I have friends like you to cheer me up after my rejection. :)
Angela all I have to say is "You go Girl!"
Good times, good times! We are brave I tell you girl!! Love ya!
Post a Comment