In May, we were able to go on a really fun campout and day hike, with some good friends of ours (Grant and Vanessa and their 5 kids- Caleb, Brooke, Logan, Aimee, and Hailey). We knew that most of the summer we were going to have Saturday morning commitments (along with Caleb, Brooke, Logan, and Aimee) and so we wanted to take the chance on Memorial Day weekend, to go have some outdoor fun. (Grant actually asked me if I wanted to go as a family or just send him and a few kids. I really wanted to go... until the day of, when I was feeling really sick and tired. But it was the best thing I could've done. Grant helped a lot to get ready and once we got there, I was fine. It was amazing! The entire time we were outdoors, I felt great!)
Caleb was pretty proud of his hair-do, the next morning! (He is hilarious!)
It rained a lot, however, the men and boys fixed up a sweet covered area with a tarp. It was pretty impressive. There was a beautiful river that ran nearby, where the kids enjoyed playing "Pooh Sticks." (Drop your sticks on one side and then run over and see whose stick won the race.) We also enjoyed lots of yummy food, most of it cooked by the Grants.
Saturday morning, we went on a day hike up to Camp Handy, as families. It was a pretty tough hike, 6 miles! I was quite impressed that all the kids made it, except Aurora, who was on her Dad's back (and Hailey rode on her Dad's shoulders for a bit, at the end). Although, they did receive a little help along the way, like over rivers and things. (The younger kids were pretty frightened by the bridges, particularly Karina.) Also, there were some pretty muddy parts that the older boys helped them through. (The boys also carried all the backpacks, which was very nice!) It was cute to watch the bigger kids help the younger kids. Also, the girls kept pairing off in buddies. It was adorable! Along the way, we took a picture of 2 "Brook"s- one brook and one Brooke. :) At the top, we met lots of friendly wildlife, who were eager to share our lunch with us. Some of us even found treasures-- some heart-shaped rocks.
By the end of the 6 miles, we were all pretty exhausted and quite hungry. So we decided to stop at a fun restaurant, called Fat Smittys, that Grant enjoys stopping at after hikes. When you eat there, you can sign your name on a dollar and pin it to the wall/ceiling. It was quite yummy food and a fun experience. (Notice silly Karina and silly Aurora making funny faces at each other in the middle picture. So hilarious!) We had a really good time, the entire trip, and sure appreciate such good friends!
3 comments:
I love a great burger joint! This time of night I get hungry... again. Now I'm craving a fat smitty.
So fun! We sure miss you guys.
I'm so glad you felt good while you were there!
Post a Comment