I ran out of room on my blog again (I guess that happens when you have big picture files) and while deciding what to do, I wanted to share a story.
First of all, I have never enjoyed history before. When I was young, I found it incredibly boring. However, in the last 4-5 years, since I have been teaching my girls, I have completely fallen in love with the stories of history. I am so in awe of how God has had his hand in the making of America and other such parts of history. I know God had (and still has) a plan and is definitely in charge. This brings me a lot of peace, considering what is going on in the world today. Anyway, I have especially enjoyed reading the stories about the chosen leaders of this country. Like George Washington, who had several horses shot out from under him or pockets full of bullets, but none ever seemed to hit him.
Though no story has ever touched me like that of Abraham Lincoln's dream/vision. While reading this story to Riana the other day, I totally started crying. I have never heard it before and found it very touching and sad.
"Three days prior to his assassination, Abraham Lincoln related a dream he had to his wife and a few friends. According to Ward Hill Lamon, one of the friends who was present for the conversation, the president said: 'About ten days ago, I retired very late. I had been up waiting for important dispatches from the front. I could not have been long in bed when I fell into a slumber, for I was weary. I soon began to dream. There seemed to be a death-like stillness about me. Then I heard subdued sobs, as if a number of people were weeping. I thought I left my bed and wandered downstairs. There the silence was broken by the same pitiful sobbing, but the mourners were invisible. I went from room to room; no living person was in sight, but the same mournful sounds of distress met me as I passed along. I saw light in all the rooms; every object was familiar to me; but where were all the people who were grieving as if their hearts would break? I was puzzled and alarmed. What could be the meaning of all this? Determined to find the cause of a state of things so mysterious and so shocking, I kept on until I arrived at the East Room, which I entered. There I met with a sickening surprise. Before me was a catafalque, on which rested a corpse wrapped in funeral vestments. Around it were stationed soldiers who were acting as guards; and there was a throng of people, gazing mournfully upon the corpse, whose face was covered, others weeping pitifully. 'Who is dead in the White House?' I demanded of one of the soldiers, 'The President,' was his answer; 'he was killed by an assassin.' Then came a loud burst of grief from the crowd, which woke me from my dream. I slept no more that night; and although it was only a dream, I have been strangely annoyed by it ever since.' "
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assassination_of_Abraham_Lincoln
Lincoln was disturbed by this dream, however, he decided to go to Ford's Theatre for a play because all the newspapers had already announced that he would be there. He didn't want to let the people down. His personal bodyguard begged him not to go and even offered to go with him, but Lincoln thought he would be taken care of. As you know, Lincoln was assassinated. After he died, his body was laid in the East Room, where is was guarded by soldiers, and people came to mourn over him... just like in his dream.
I wanted to share this touching story in case you have never heard of it either. Abraham Lincoln was such a wonderful president. I am so thankful for all that he did for our country.