Monday, January 07, 2013

Trip Part 3- Grandma’s Funeral

The last thing we did on our trip was to attend my Grandma’s funeral.  My Grandma, my Mom’s Mom, was my last living Grandparent.  She had been mostly healthy up until about 6 months ago, when she started getting urinary tract infections.  She kept getting more and more and the antibiotics that they were treating her with, just weren’t working.  She would get so sick that it would even affect her mind.  She kept getting weaker and weaker, until finally, about 3 months ago, they had to put her in the hospital.  By this time however, her body had weakened to the point that she was unable to walk and unable to feed herself.  When she left the hospital, my Mom was able to go help take care of her, as her sister, Luetta, who lives with Grandma, also has some health issues and isn’t able to do everything.  My Mom and Luetta took care of my Grandma for 3 months.  She would have some really good days, where she wanted to get up and get going, but she just didn’t have the physical strength to make that happen.  Then she had some really bad days where my Mom wondered if she would make it through the night.  On all the days though, good or bad, I thought it was so neat that she would always work up enough energy to visit with family when they would come to visit.  Her family-- 7 children (2 who recently passed away), 5 children-in-law, 30 grandchildren, and around 80 great-grandchildren—was very important to her.  We had a very special visit with her and I will always be thankful that we took the time to go see her.  I really think she had the desire to live (she always talked about how she wanted to live to 100) and even asked me if I believed in miracles.  However, I really feel that as she realized that she wasn’t returning to her normal, independent self, she started to feel at peace with returning to her loved ones on the other side.  She told my Mom and Luetta one day that she was so thankful for the extra time she was able to have with them and with everyone who came to visit her.  Two days before  Christmas, my Mom returned back to her own home to have Christmas with Joe, since it was his last Christmas before leaving on his mission, and to talk to Tommy, when he called on Christmas.  I know she felt very torn about leaving, however she prayed that someone would be able to help out (since she knew that Luetta would not be able to do it all on her own) and that everything would be okay.  (She really needed the next month to spend time with Joe and to get him ready for his mission.)  The answer to her prayer came in Grandma’s passing away.  The night that she passed away, two days after Christmas, she was talking to Luetta about her newest great-grandchild who had just been born the day before (Liz’s baby- Hazel) and had asked Luetta to get her some ice cream.  Luetta took care of a few things, grabbed the ice cream, and returned to find Grandma unresponsive.  She called her brother, Ed, and he came over.  Sometime in there, she peacefully passed on.
 
I was able to attend the viewing on Friday night and spend time with all my extended family.  I also had the chance to visit with my Grandma’s younger brother, Alton.  It was nice to visit with everyone.  They had some nice pictures up from my Grandma’s life (and at the funeral they had several of her paintings on display.)  After the viewing, we went to practice our song with a lady from the ward, who was going to play the piano.  It was amazing how the song came together.  (We had been kind of worried about it.)  The lady who played for us, said what a neat family we were and how much she enjoyed having us in her home.

The funeral was beautiful.  My cousin, Christy, gave the eulogy and did a great job.  There were so many wonderful stories about Grandma’s life.  Christy spoke of Grandma’s love for art and all the different ways she shared this talent.  Then she spoke of Grandma’s special angel service to Alaine (her daughter with Down’s Syndrome.  I also noticed my Dad’s sister, Patty, and her husband, Rob, crying when they spoke of this special service, as they also have a child with special needs.  All my Dad’s sisters, who live in town came to the funeral—Patty, Ellen, and Peggy.  I thought that was very sweet of them and gave them all hugs.)  Then my Mom, some of my Aunts, cousins, cousin-in-laws, and I sang a song, that my Grandma picked out called, "Remember Me," which totally made me cry.  During the song it has different lines like-- remember me whenever you see the sunrise, remember me whenever you see a star, remember me whenever you see a rainbow, etc.  The last line is "I'll be remembering you."  That last line got me every time because even though the song was protraying God, I always thought of my Grandma and how much I would miss her.  I looked over and my Mom was crying and so was my cousin, Teresa.  Good thing so many of us were singing.  It turned out really good!  The harmonies came together so wonderfully and it was such a miracle!  I'm sure Grandma was helping us out!  :)  Grandma’s baby brother spoke of how much he loved and appreciated her as his second Mom and how she loved and cared for him.  Then Grant sang a solo, “Come to Me.”  It was very peaceful and the perfect message, “Come to Me, all ye who are heavy laden and I will give you rest,” with the “Moonlight Sonata” theme in the background.  He did an amazing job!  And it was really neat to me that my Mom and her siblings asked him.  It meant a lot to me.  Then Grandma's youngest son, Scott, started his talk by joking about how the funeral directors said, “Well, you guys know the drill…”  …sad, but true.  (My Mom’s oldest brother, Wayne, passed away 3 years ago and her youngest sister, Alaine, passed away last year.  The funeral director was actually pretty sweet about it, saying that it was sad that we all already know what to do.)  Then Scott spent some time thanking each of his siblings and their spouses for the love and care they each showed to Grandma during the last few months of her life.  He spoke of my Mom and the fact that she lived in Pasco for three months and that she and Luetta did so much.  He said how much he appreciated knowing that they were there, since Scott, Ed, and Stuart all could not leave work for that long.  He then thanked my Dad for the sacrifice of living without my Mom for 3 months, so that she could take care of my Grandma.  (I totally agree that it was very sweet of him to support my Mom by allowing her to be gone that long.)  It was a beautiful funeral that honored an incredible woman.



We all drove out to the cemetery (where Grandpa, Wayne, Alaine, and also my Dad’s parents, are all buried.  Whenever we are there, we try to visit each grave of our relatives.)  Stuart gave the grave dedication prayer and then they allowed anyone who wanted to say a few words.  The most touching story to me, came from my cousin Lance.  He is usually a pretty quiet guy, however he felt that we all needed to hear the special experience that he had.  I am so glad that he shared it because it was pretty special.  He said that he had visited Grandma a few days before she passed on.  When he came in, she told him something along these lines, “I want to tell you what happened to me last night, but you are not going to believe me.  Nolan (her husband who passed away about 15 years ago) came to see me last night.  He wanted me to come with him.  He told me that he missed me a lot.”  Wow!  It was a very touching story and I am so thankful that Lance shared this story. 

Now all four of my Grandparents (and my Aunt and Uncle) are all buried in the same cemetary.  Here is Karina "Loren" with her name sake's headstone, my Grandpa and Kaatlin "Pearl" with Grandma's headstone.  We made Lolo get in there too for "Lola." 
Later, we attended a wonderful luncheon put on by the ward.  I really appreciate my Grandma’s amazing ward.  It is no easy task to put on a dinner for over 100 people, but they have done that twice in little over a year.  Plus they have provided babysitting for our children, as well.  Everything was so yummy.  It was also really fun to visit, and catch up, with all my cousins and aunts and uncles.  Grant and I spent a lot of time talking to Dave and Teresa.  Teresa is my girl cousin who it closest in age to me.  We have always been close.  Also Dave and Teresa and Grant and I were attending Ricks College at the same time and used to hang out a lot when we lived in Rexburg.  So it was great to catch up with them. 




I am really thankful that we were able to go and remember what a wonderful woman my Grandmother was and to celebrate the legacy that she left.

Memories--

-visiting her out at the farm
-looking forward to getting her birthday cards in the mail each year
-I don't think any of us will be able to look at our Christmas trees without thinking of her.
-When I was a child, I remember her thoughtfully preparing lunches for us for our drive home, when we would drive home from the Tri-Cities, after a visit with all the family in the Tri-Cities.
-When I was young, I remember her always having toys for us to play with and tricycles and such. I also loved looking at the Family Tree with all the pictures in the hallway and looking at her incredible paintings.
-watching her with my girls-- once when Riana and Sariah were small, she held their hands and they all went out to get the mail together... it was so cute!
-sitting around talking with Grandma each time we stopped to see her
-each Family Reunion, especially the one where we acted out stories from her life and she was the Queen at the Pow Wow.
-Something I will always remember about Grandma is that she was very independent. In her later years, she would get up to get something and I would ask if I could get it for her. She would respond that she wanted to do things for herself while she still could.
-She also had a great sense of humor!! :)
-My last visit with Grandma was a very special memory. I was able to have some one-on-one time with her and I will always cherish that.  (I wrote a post about this memory earlier.)


Here is her Obituary…

June L. Monson, 91, died peacefully in her home on December 28, 2012. She was a beloved mother, grandmother, great-grandmother, sister and friend.

June was born June 13, 1921, in Whitney, Idaho, to loving parents, Melvin G. and Hedwig Larsen. She grew up there on her father and mother's farm with her sister and two brothers. She left home to live with an aunt and uncle in Los Angeles to attend her senior year of high school. She graduated from John Marshall High School.

After attending Utah State College for a year, on August 1, 1941, June married her eternal companion, Edward Nolan Monson in the LDS Logan, Utah, temple. They started their family right away and soon had a son and daughter. With WWII underway, Nolan was drafted into the army and served in the Philippines. June and her children spent that time living with her parents on the farm.

In March of 1954, June and Nolan had an opportunity to move to Washington and buy a farm in the Columbia Basin Irrigation Project. By this time, two sons and a daughter had been added to the family. They settled in Block 15, north of Pasco and set about the difficult but rewarding task of developing the land into a productive farm. Eventually another son and daughter blessed their home. Through her example, June made sure that all of her children were taught how to work and be self-reliant. She loved her Father in Heaven and made sure that her children were fed spiritually as well as physically. As a faithful member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, June served in many church callings and did all she could to serve the members of the Columbia Basin Ward and Pasco Stake.

June was a skilled artist with paintings hanging in many homes of friends and relatives. She loved music and encouraged creativity in her children. She enjoyed gardening, both to beautify her home and to provide food for the table.

June and Nolan sold the farm in 1986, retired and purchased a home in Pasco. Their disabled daughter, Alaine, lived with them and June cared for her. After Nolan passed away in 1996, June continued to care for Alaine. In 2004, June and Alaine, moved in with daughter, Luetta who was having a new home built in Pasco.

June is survived by brother Alton (Shirley) Larsen, daughter-in-law Julie Monson, daughter Luetta, son Stuart (Glennis), son Edward (Carolyn), daughter Karla (Mike) Cheney, and son Scott (Debbie), 30 grandchildren, 82 great-grandchildren and many nieces and nephews. She was preceded in death by her husband Nolan, son Wayne, and daughter Alaine.

No comments: