The other day, Riana, 12, came home and told me a story, which may not seem like a real big deal, however it was a proud Mommy moment to me.
After struggling for a bit to find a group of friends at her school, she finally found a group of girls who she is really having a lot of fun with. Well, the other day, they were talking about what gifts they received for Christmas. Riana mentioned that she was excited that she had received the Katniss barbie doll that she wanted. One of the girls said, "Like the kind that you leave in the box?" And Riana said, "Well yeah, but I couldn't help myself... I just had to get it out and play with it." Everyone froze... and one girl said puzzled, "You play with barbies?" **Awkward silence** Riana confidently replied, "Yeah! I do!" **Another awkward silence** One girl sheepishly followed, "So do I!" And then another said, "Me too!" And then all of a sudden it was okay, and the conversation went on...
When Riana told me this story, I was SO incredibly proud of her for being her. She was a leader in this small thing, however it gives me the reassurance that she will have the confidence to stand up in other situations too. One of the biggest reasons that I decided to homeschool my girls was so that they would have the confidence to stand against the group and do what they know is right, even if it means losing their friends. I love that Riana is proud of who she is and that she is in no hurry to grow up. I know that that will soon change, so I will let her hold on to her childhood as long as she wants to. And I will enjoy my little 12 year old as long as I possibly can... she turns into a teenager next month!!!
2 comments:
Good for her!
That is so awesome Angela! Go Riana! So proud of her! :)
Post a Comment