Monday, February 20, 2012

Our Young Woman-- Riana Turns 12!

They say about tweens that they have one foot in childhood and one in adulthood.  That definitely describes Riana.  Lately, I have felt a struggle on which way to encourage her to go.  One day during dance, she insisted on sitting on my lap.  I, of course, didn't mind her sitting on my lap, even though she was having a hard time sharing me with her sisters.  Then I overheard a couple of the girls in her class talking about how they were mortified because their friends were texting them during class, and about their boyfriends, and the brand name clothes they have to have.  I couldn't help but think about what a different world Riana was in.  I wondered if I was doing her a disservice by allowing her to play with dolls, and sit on my lap, and such.  (Although, in some ways, she is more mature than others her age- babysitting, performing, etc.)  She brought her dolls to school for a project and a couple of the girls her age, who were trying to appear "older" to everyone else, came to Riana, in a one-on-one situation, to tell her that they had/loved American Dolls too.  I started thinking about how society expects kids to grow up so fast these days and how they have to be adults for the rest of their lives.  They only get to be kids for a short time.  I talked to some other Moms who said to just allow Riana to be Riana and don't worry about what other kids her age are doing.  The next day, as we walked into the store, she reached over and grabbed my hand to hold it, and it made me smile.  What a sweet daughter I have!  She can hold my hand for as long as she wants to, because just around the corner lies a whole new world for her-- a world where boys and cell phones will replace dolls and sitting on my lap.  She also had mixed feelings about going to YW-- she was a bit excited for this new world and yet kind of wanted to just stay in Primary where she felt secure.  (She told me she was okay with most of it- but wished she didn't have to go to those silly joint activities with the boys!  I know she is going to laugh at that comment in a few years!)  I also know it will probably happen even faster for my younger girls because they will have older sisters in the phase.  Riana, however, is holding on to it longer probably partly because she has 5 younger sisters, with whom she shares many common interests.  The 6 of them have so much fun together and I think I will just hold on to that for as long as it lasts. 





On Riana's birthday, we brought her a special breakfast (kind of late) and an early dinner.

The next day, on Sunday, the YW and their leaders (me included) had the chance to go into Primary and pick her up.  It was really neat to be able to be there for her.  When we went into YWs, she was going to sit by me.  However, the YW invited her to come sit by them instead.  It was so sweet!  I also had the opportunity to sit through her first Beehive lesson, about the important role of Motherhood.  It was neat!  (I still can't believe I have a daughter that is old enough to be in YW!!)

  Then we invited her friend, Caden and his family, over for dinner and dessert, the next night, since she is going to have an all girls birthday party.  (They were sweet enough to bring her a gift.)  All these meals were her choice.


Also on that Sunday, the day after her birthday, we attended the Activity Day Recognition night.  Riana worked hard and earned her Faith in God Award.  It was her last Activity Days.  Tierra also came to see what it was like, as she will be going to AD in just over a month.

Here are some of the gifts Riana has received for her birthday so far.  She opened these over at my parents' house from Uncle Chris and Auntie Mandy, Uncle Fatih and Auntie Celestia, Uncle Danny and Auntie Jolie, and Grandma and Grandpa.  She also received one in the mail from Uncle Mark and Auntie Liz.  She is blessed to have such caring extended family.

1 comment:

Keri_B said...

I can't believe you have a daughter old enough to be in YW either!! I still think we are 16! I am the counselor over the Beehives in YW and it's my favorite calling EVER. I love how excited they are about everything and their sweet, simple testimonies.