Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Road Trip- Day 8- NM/AZ




The next morning, we spent some more time together with our family.  Callie finally starting warming up to everyone, especially Grandpa.  She was telling him all about her little truck and he loved every minute of it!!  It was pretty stinking cute!!  I was really glad that all of the kids were feeling comfortable... sad that we had to leave so soon.  It was hard to say goodbye, not knowing when we would see each other again.  Rod came out to the driveway and when we drove away, he stood there and cried.  It was so sad.  Grant was worried about him standing and even drove by again to made sure he was okay.  I thought that was really sweet!  It was a wonderful visit.  I am so glad we had the chance to see them and to really get to know them and grow to love them even more.  It is amazing to me how much you can love family that you are blood related to, that you have only seen twice.  We are sure blessed to have so much family in our lives.

On our way out of town, we stopped for a bite to eat at Blake's Lotaburger, which was highly recommended by our brother-in-law, Tito.  Every thing tasted amazing, especially the onion rings!  YUM!  Grant's sister, Jill, and I were texting on this trip and we mentioned that we were headed to Silver City and she informed us that Tito was from there!  Crazy!  We knew he was from New Mexico but didn't realize he was from there.  He knew all the amazing places to visit.  Unforunately, we weren't able to see most of them this trip... hopefully next time.  On the way to Arizona, the roads seemed to go straight for-ever!!  We also saw some pretty funky looking cactus-like plant/tree things. 










Our next stop was in Safford, AZ to visit with Grant's Grandpa and Grandma Larson (Rod's parents... well, actually Rod's biological Mom died when she was 42, of a heart attack... leaving 8 children between the ages of 2-20, I think.  Bevan then married Una Mae, who had 4 children, also in that age range.  So together they have 12 children and I believe they have been married for almost 50 years.)  Grandpa Larson has really supported Grant in his life and I believe he even wrote him every single day of his mission.  Grandma Larson has sent us several things, which she has sewn, through the years, including a baby blanket (which is Riana's favorite), matching dresses for Riana and Sariah (which each of our sets of girls have worn), some barbie blankets/sleeping bags and such, etc.  During this visit, Grandma noticed that Callie was dragging around a pair of pajamas for a silkie/blanket.  Grandma decided she would make her a small one that would be perfect to snuggle with... it was so thoughtful and Calyssa loved it!!  In fact, she told everyone about it for the rest of the trip.  "This is my silkie that my Grandma made."  So cute!   It was fun to see all the pictures of all of Grant's Aunt and Uncles and cousins, most of them that we have never met.  (Although during our last trip, we did meet a few of them.  His Aunts, who totally looked like him, were so incredibly sweet and totally cried when they met Grant and told him that they had loved him and worried about him since he was born!  So sweet!)  It was especially fun to see pictures of Rod and of Bevan when they were younger.  Grant looks so much like this side of the family that it is neat to see the resemblance.  In fact, whenever I look at Grandpa Larson, I can't help but think that Grant is sure going to be a cute old man someday!  ;)  Grant spent some time helping his Grandpa label and organize some of the pictures he took that day (and some that he already had from reading our blog, ones we have sent him, and ones from our last visit.)  While he did that, the girls played with all kinds of fun toys Grandma found for them-- a marble game, cars down a tube, a fun chalkboard, etc.  Callie even found a bone to pretend to be a dog with... she loves to pretend to be a dog!  Cute!  We lucked out and Grandma's visiting teachers stopped and were able to take some pictures of all of us together.  We were able to get lots of really nice pictures, even one where Grant posed like his Grandpa.  (The first time I saw the picture, I didn't realize he had done this on purpose and I was shocked, but then he told me.  Silly guy!)  It was hard to say goodbye, but Grandma and Grandpa gave some really nice hugs!!  I love their sweet faces in each of these pictures.  Grandpa became emotional when we left... it was super sad!  :(  However, I am so glad that we were able to spend several hours visiting with them.






Grandma and Grandpa sent us on our way with some yummy homemade ginger snaps... they were so good!  We couldn't stop eating them... until they were all gone!  LOL!  Our drive between Safford and Mesa was quite beautiful!  We saw a beautiful temple in the middle of Arizona (I believe the Central Arizona temple.)  We saw a beautiful American flag waving on top of a hill.  We saw tons of beautiful scenery and some beautiful clouds.  We saw lots and lots of cacti.  When we stopped to use the restroom, I was taking pictures of the girls in front of some cacti and a beautiful sunset, when Grant drove over and said, "Get in the car ya stinkin tourists!!"  LOL!!  We were all laughing our heads off!!  We don't have cactus in Washington, so they are really cool to see.  When we arrived in Mesa, we finally decided on the Marriott.  I just love Marriotts because they have a Book of Mormon in every room... how awesome is that?  They also had mini Paul Mitchell shampoo and conditioner!  Nice!  Oh and it sure didn't hurt that our view was beautiful too!!  I loved it all!!  :)

No comments: