On the 5th of May, Tierra made the decision to be baptized a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, and asked her Daddy to baptize her. Grant and Tierra arrived at the church early to be fitted for their whites. (Tierra loved having some special time with her Daddy.)
Tierra's Primary Teacher helped her get ready, which I was very thankful for because I had my hands full getting 5 kids ready and helping family, who was here from out of town. She is a really great Primary teacher, who made many sacrifices to be at Tia's baptism. She had a huge conference (I believe in Seattle) for work and had to hire someone else to do her very important jobs, so that she could leave for 2-3 hours and drive straight down to the baptism and straight back. She loves teaching Primary and I'm pretty sure coming to the baptisms of her kids is her favorite part of her calling. We really appreciate her and the special efforts in which she made to be able to come.
The first thing we noticed when we arrived at the baptism was that Karina was wearing the same dress as her cousin, Laurel. How fun!! I was thankful that Liz took a picture of these three cousins-- Rachie, Nina, and Lolo (as well as a few of the other pictures on this post. I also received a couple from my friend, Jenny.) Cute!
Tierra was lucky enough to share her baptism day with two other little girls from our Stake, Ryah (who was adopted from the Ukraine, along with her 3 sisters, 3rd ward) and Madeline (6th ward). It was sweet to see these three pretty little girls, all dressed in white for their special day.
Tierra looked especially gorgeous in the dress my Mom sewed for her. Tia was absolutely in love with the way that it turned out. She was glowing!! I can't believe how grown up she is getting all of a sudden!! (And it is crazy that half my children are baptized! I was the 3rd child in my family and it seems like I was just baptized.)
The baptism was conducted by a High Councilor from our Stake. He really brought the Spirit in with his tender emotions. It was a nice addition to the baptism to have him be the one to conduct.
The baptism started with a song, "When I Am Baptized," followed by a prayer by Tia's Daddy. Grant gave a beautiful prayer. Then Madeline's Dad spoke about baptism and Ryah's Mom spoke about the Holy Ghost.
Next, our five oldest daughters sang a song about Jesus Christ's baptism entitled, "Baptism." Tierra sang the first verse all by herself, softly yet confidently, and oh so sweetly!! The Spirit filled the room even more when her sweet little angelic voice sang each and every word. It brought me to tears! All the girls sang beautifully together during the rest of the song. I was so thankful that they were able to sing at Tia's baptism. (That is a special memory I have from my baptism- singing with my siblings. Riana and Sariah have also had this privilege.) I was also thankful to our piano teacher, Mark M. for accompanying the girls.
After our girls were done singing, all three girls were baptized by immersion. Tierra had the opportunity to go first. She timidly stepped down into the water, grinning from ear to ear. (She is one of the smilest girls I have ever met in my life-- oh how I love to see her smile!!) She was so completely excited to be baptized, as I'm sure a bit nervous, as well. As Grant baptized her, I felt the Spirit fill my body once more. I am so thankful Tierra made this choice to draw closer to God.
After all three girls were baptized by their fathers, they were also confirmed by them and given the gift of the Holy Ghost. Grant gave Tierra a very nice blessing. Along with her Dad, Tia was privileged to have Grandpa D, Grandpa C, Uncle Chris, Uncle Mark, and Bishop H, in the circle (hopefully, I am not missing anyone.)
For the closing song, we all sang, "I am a Child of God" and then, feeling the Spirit strong once more, I was overcome with emotion, as I gave the closing prayer. It was a very special baptism!
Here is a picture of Tierra with my parents. I was so thankful for my Mom for making another beautiful baptism dress-- perfect for Tia! (I am so sad that I didn't get a picture of Tia with Grant's parents- it is hard to get everything to happen in the stress of the moment.)
These family pictures at the baptism taught me two things- 1) I'm a perfectionist... (okay, so I already knew that.) It really is a pretty good picture, however I wish Callie wasn't sucking on her fingers and I wish everyone was looking at the same camera... which brings me to #2) Note to self, in the future, when children are involved, if you want to take a perfect picture, do not let a bunch of people take pictures at once, because as much as you tell every one which camera to look at, they won't listen if there are too many people to focus on... okay, rant over. :)
Tierra was spoiled with presents, which was really sweet of everyone. She received a gorgeous, burgundy, quad scripture set with her name inscribed, by an anonymous person in our ward. She pointed out this pretty pink scripture bag online, which is her favorite color. Luckily, they had some in the store, so her Daddy got it and a few other little things, including her first real journal. She was also given some other special gifts from her Activity Day leaders, Primary teacher, Ward Primary Presidency, Stake Primary Presidency, and Uncle Chris & Auntie Mandy. She felt very loved!! (The Primary board was all decorated for the monthly theme, which happened to be baptism. So fun!
Since it was Cinco De Mayo, we celebrated Tierra's baptism with a Fiesta!! We played at the park, where we ate Challupies (glorified nachos) and some yummy cakes for dessert! (We had lots of family join us for the Fiesta. We invited a couple (families of) friends, however it was a crazy busy Saturday and so only one family of friends was able to make it.) We all had a great time playing on the toys, playing some soccer, or just hanging out. You can't tell from these pictures, but it was actually quite chilly out that afternoon, so Calyssa spent most of her time hanging with the babies, in Grandma and Grandpa's car, with the heat on. I appreciated so much not having to worry about her while I was trying to set up, prepare food, and clean up. (I really appreciated everyone who helped in various ways and everyone who brought food.)
One of the funnest memories of the day for me, was dancing on the picnic tables with my beautiful nieces, while singing really loud to "One Direction"s song, "What Makes You Beautiful!" Fun times!!
However, all fun must eventually come to an end, some of us weren't too happy to have to say goodbye... Rori and her cousin, Kate.
It was a very special day, that we were blessed to share with so many close friends and family, celebrating Tierra's choice to be baptized. I was thankful that everything turned out so well.





2 comments:
You look amazing Angela!!!! Beautiful family!
Enjoyed looking at all your new blog entries Angela! Very Fun. :)
Post a Comment