Grant went on a trip with his friend, Jeremy, to hike the Grand Canyon.
While he was gone, we missed him. I liked wearing his favorite shirt because it reminded me of him. We had a yummy barbecue dinner on Memorial Day. I barbecued!!! I was super impressed with myself and the hot dogs turned out perfectly!! And of course, my favorite comfort food- homemade potato salad. I found some funny candies to give Grant when he got home.
He showed me this sign when he got home... "Warning! Danger! DO NOT attempt to hike from the canyon rim to the river and back in one day. Each year hikers suffer serious illness or death from exhaustion."
But what did they do? They hiked the Grand Canyon in 24 hours! Crazy boys!! So glad they didn't die!! Grant said the whole time he was thinking, I just have to make it past halfway and then if they rescue me with a mule, I will have gone rim to rim... LOL! Sad! They made it though, but Jeremy did carry both packs the last mile or so. I think it is similar to a marathon, like 25 miles or something, only gaining elevation the whole way. Good thing I didn't see this sign until he was home safe!!
Grant and Jeremy at the Grand Canyon National Park entrance
I thought this perfectly placed crow was fake, but Grant assured me that it was real.
The rocky trails were beautiful!
A few stopping points along the way-- Ribbon Falls, Phantom Ranch, and Silver Bridge.
They stood underneath the waterfall.
I thought this second picture, looked like where a Panda bear should live.
A flowering cactus
Silver Bridge and the view from Silver Bridge
Another cool cactus
Beautiful colors of nature in this picture
It got dark for the last couple of hours of their hike-- Grant really struggled with the last mile or so. He said he and Jeremy talked on the drive back about how thankful Grant was for the help Jeremy gave him with his pack and how it is like how Christ helps us. It was a pretty neat conversation.
They saw lots of wildlife on their hike-- blue birds, frogs, lizards, snakes, chipmunks, a scorpion, deer (one was right on the path in front of Jeremy during a picture and they didn't realize it for a picture or two), and lots more lizards (these ones were sunbathing on the rocks.)
They did it!! I'm sure the Grand Canyon looked totally different 24 hours later, when they had completed it!


Grant and Jeremy with their new "Rim to Rim" T-shirts and hats, that they worked so hard to earn (and then paid for too... LOL!)

Grant was all scruffy or as the girls call it, he had a "scratchy chin." He brought them home some special surprises. He also brought me some lotions.
I'm glad he could have a fun adventure with his buddy but I'm even more glad he made it home safely!









No comments:
Post a Comment