Monday, December 10, 2012

Thanksgiving Weekend Events & Joe's Mission Call

Some other fun events of the weekend include:

*Black Friday shopping with Liz and Jen— My sister, Liz, and my friend, Jen, and I went shopping on Thanksgiving night.  It was craziness!  And even though I have been Black Friday shopping many times, I have never seen lines that long in all my life.  We had to wait in line for over an hour at two different stores.  First, we went to Walmart.  The lines were great there.  When we were buying some leapster games, according to the add, they were suppose to be half-off, so about $12 dollars.  Well, they kept ringing up at $1.  I talked to the lady and we even showed her the add and she said that they were $1.  We kept saying, “Are you sure?  That doesn’t seem right.”  She said that they were all ringing up at that price, so that was the price.  So Jen said, “Ang, run back and grab the rest!!”  I ran back and grabbed more.  So I ended up getting 7 games and a Leapster for only $27!!  Crazy!!  Next, we went to Target.  And even though it had been open for over a half an hour, there was still a line just to get in!  So we dropped Liz off there because there were things she really wanted there.  She was such a trooper being 8 months pregnant and she even found some things for me!!  Jen and I went to Shopko!!  That is where the craziest lines were!!  We had no idea what we were getting in to!!  After we were done there, we ran back to Target and took over for Liz in line, so that she could sit down.  I was able to find some great deals.  One place didn’t have any more suitcases that I wanted, but I decided to look for one at another store even though I didn’t think they had any on sale.  I happen to find one in the corner by itself that was super cute.  All the other ones of that brand weren’t on sale but somehow that one was $39.99 instead of over $100!  I checked and checked and couldn’t find anything wrong with it!  So the shopping was all definitely worth it, as I saved a lot of money.  We had a lot of fun shopping together too!







*Sleepover at Grandma and Grandpa’s house and Decorating the Tree- Our kids went over to have a sleepover at Grandma and Grandpa’s house with their cousins.  They had lots of fun decorating Grandma’s Christmas tree and even made cookies with Grandma.  They played videos games and other games with their cousins, and also jumped on the trampoline!  They had a wonderful time!



(Grant and Ang in front of the Twilight sign and Liz and Mark in front of the "Wizard of Oz" sign... she loves the original "Wizard of Oz!") 

*Elizabeth and Mark and Grant and I went on a double date.  First, we went over to visit with Celestia and Fatih.  Fatih was recovering from brain surgery.  He had an aneurysm in his brain stem and they had to remove it because it could burst at any minute and could kill him.  They are SO incredibly lucky that it was found!  (Most people die or are permanently disabled from these types of brain aneurysms.)  Faith had been having severe headaches and that is how they found it.  His mother almost died from one too.   Anyway, Fatih was feeling very emotional and was talking about how blessed he felt.  He felt that God spared his life for some reason and said that it made him want to live a better life.  Grant and Mark were able to give him a blessing, in which they blessed him to rise up and be a spiritual leader with his wife and that together they should love and lead their family.  It was pretty neat.
Next, we went to see the last Twilight movie and then out to frozen yogurt.  It was so much fun!  We all get along great and feel so comfortable around each other.  It was a great night!  We sure appreciated Grandma, Grandpa, and Joe for watching the kids.






 

*And the most exciting of all… my baby brother, Joe, opened his mission call over Thanksgiving break!!  My parents, Chris and his family, Celestia’s boys, my family, Liz’s family, Danny’s family, and Joe’s best friends, Ian and Sebastian, were all there to watch him open his call.  He opened it and as he read, “You are hearby called to serve as a missionary of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.  You are assigned to labor in the California Riverside Mission,” Joe got a huge smile on his face!  I think he was really happy with his call.  He is speaking English, which he said he was very relieved to find out.  I think a mission will be enough of a challenge for him without having to worry about learning another language.  It is pretty awesome that him and Tommy will be serving their missions at the same time, overlapping by one year, and serving in the same state.  (It is really neat how each mission is perfect for them.  Tommy had the opportunity to learn two languages—Laotian in the MTC, and Mien Chinese, which they told him they needed him to speak, when he got to the mission.  Tommy does great with an extra challenge.  However, he always doesn’t have to get transferred his whole mission and therefore gets to sleep in the same bed the whole time, which is perfect for him and his situation.)  Joe’s mission is perfect for him and what is even more exciting is that he is going to get to go serve with Tommy for 4 days before he enters the MTC.  How awesome is that?  I know they are both going to love that and I think that will be great to help Joe get out the door.  He will be excited to see Tommy and that will help him see how fun it is to be a missionary!  I am excited for Joe!  He is going to learn and grow a ton!!  He also has such a fun personality and he is blessed with many talents!  I know he will make a great missionary!!  J  (Update—We just had his farewell this weekend.  All Joe’s nieces and nephews (except Liz’s kids who couldn’t come because she just had a baby and the ones who are too young) sang, “We’ll Bring the World His Truth.”  The spirit was so strong, as they sang with such power, especially on the last chorus.  They did a great job!!  Then Joe spoke about the Armies of Helaman and the different attributes that helped them be strong.  He spoke of their courage and then read a quote from an apostle that promised that they Lord would strengthen you as you showed courage.  He totally got choked up as he was reading it.  He gave a great talk.  It is so crazy that my baby brother is all grown up and leaving on a mission!!  We will all miss him very much, especially all his little nieces and nephews who have so much fun with him!

No comments: