Friday, May 15, 2009

11 Years with My Perfect Match



When I was a teenager, I watched way too many romance movies. I was convinced that I would marry a man someday who was tall, dark, and handsome. (At least I got one of the three right--;) ) I was pretty convinced that he would show up on a white horse and we would ride off into the sunset together.

When I met Grant, I was attracted to him but he wasn't tall and dark like I had "dreamed." (However, he was pretty romantic. He asked me on our first date in the back of an ambulance after being in a very serious car accident together.) All I knew was that I felt so comfortable talking with him, like I had known him for years and years. I felt an amazing connection with him, even though I barely knew him. We dated for only a VERY short amount of time when he prayed whether he should continue to date me or not and received the answer that he should marry me. He asked me to pray about it. At first I thought he was crazy (because it happened so fast.) But when I did pray, I received a VERY strong answer that this was indeed the man that I was supposed to marry.

Well, it has been 11 years since I married Grant and I fall in love with him more and more each day (well, almost every day, like the days he forgets to take out the garbage... LOL! Just kidding!) Looking back, I am surprised at how little I knew him, when I married him. But at the same time, I am surprised at how well Heavenly Father knew us both. And furthermore, I am so glad we listened to Him. I am so thankful for every decision that I made in my life that led me to Grant. He is my 100% perfect match in every way! We compliment each other really well and help each other be the best that we can be. We are a fantastic team.

I love Grant so much! I love so many things about him. I love how he tells me I am beautiful all day long every day, no matter what I look like. I love how he is so silly and boy is he ever silly! We laugh a lot at our house because of him! He makes life really fun! I love what a good Daddy he is to his 5 little girls and how he doesn't even seem to care that he doesn't have a son. It takes a special kind of Daddy to raise 5 girls. I love how he isn't afraid to spend crazy amounts of money on me. I love how he encourages me to do things that I love and go out and get a break. And I especially love that he is willing to watch all 5 kids for hours while I do those things. I love how he is willing to change poopy diapers and make meals (hopefully, not at the same time.) I love how he loves all the things that I love-- sports, music, politics, etc. I love how he cries when we watch chick flicks! I love how he has such a strong testimony of the gospel of Jesus Christ and how he isn't afraid to share his testimony. I love that he works so hard every day to provide for us and to protect us. I love how much he cares and worries about his family, and about mine. I love how he has such a strong desire to go on dates (even though we don't always get the chance) and how he still wants to hold my hand and get my door for me, when we are on dates.

As far as the whole "tall, dark, and handsome" thing, there is a country song that explains how I feel exactly. It is actually a man singing about a woman but you get the picture. It is called, "She's More."

"I like blue eyes, hers are green

Not like the woman of my dreams

And her hair's not quite as long as I had planned

Five foot three isn't tall

She's not the girl I pictured at all

In those paint by number fantasies I've had

So it took me by complete surprise

When my heart got lost in those deep green eyes

She's not at all what I was looking for

She's more

No, it wasn't at first sight

But the moment I looked twice

I saw the woman I was born to love

Her laughter fills my soul

And when I hold her I don't wanna let go

When it comes to her I can't get enough

So it took me by complete surprise

When my heart got lost in those deep green eyes

She's not at all what I was looking for

She's more

More than I dreamed of

More than any man deserves

I couldn't ask for more

Than a love like hers

So it took me by complete surprise

When my heart got lost in those deep green eyes

She's not at all what I was looking for

She's more"

Grant is not what I was looking for, he is more! He is better then I ever dreamed him to be. It has been amazing being married to my best friend in the whole world for 11 years and I can't wait for an eternity more!!

9 comments:

Anna said...

Congratulations on 11 years! Having a perfect husband is the best! (Jeff and I know that neither one of us is perfect, but we always say to each other, "You are perfect for me!") It makes me so happy to hear about happy, healthy marriages, when it seems that so many fall apart. You are truly blessed, and you guys have the sweetest little family!

Jen Hakes said...

There is nothing more important than to feel this way about your spouse. Your children are so blessed you have the both of you for such amazing examples of love and respect. Congrats on 11 wonderful years!

Elizabeth C said...

So Sweet! You guys are so cute together and I'm so happy that you found each other. Grant is a wonderful hubby for you. I'm so glad that you found someone so perfect for you Angela.

Celeste said...

Congratulations! I have always loved your gift for expressing your feelings with such tender descriptions! You made me cry with your beautiful list of things you love about Grant :)

Megan and Jeremy said...

Awww...what a nice post Angela! Happy Anniversary and I'm so glad Heavenly Father helped you two bump into each other at Ricks.

Happy Birthday to Aurora as well-I can't believe it's already been a year!

And that was the sweetest post about your Mom-I don't know her that well but she has always been so sweet and nice to me. I bet she cried and cried after reading that-so sweet (-:

Summer said...

That is a sweet post! If Grant ever gets mad at you, tell him to go read this post and by the times he's done, he'll forget why he was mad at you. I like reading about happy couples. I like your guys story of how you met too. happy anniversary! you two are neat together

sherrie said...

wow congrats on 11 years!

Ryan and Leah said...

Congratulations on 11 years!

Brianna said...

Wow, 11 years! Time flies!!!