Monday, October 06, 2008

A bit of Heaven on Earth


I had THE BEST weekend! It started when my husband took Sariah to her rainy, cold soccer game, to coach. I stayed home wrapped up in a warm blanket watching General Conference, with Riana on one side of me, Tierra on the other, and Karina and Aurora in my lap. For some reason, the girls sat their peacefully. (FYI- That never happens!) That was beautiful in and of itself. However, right off the bat, our prophet, President Monson announced 5 new temples, including one in Rome!! How exciting! I guess my spirit was yearning for a spiritual cup full because I loved every minute of conference. That afternoon, Grant took Riana, Sariah, and Tierra to Riana's rainy, cold soccer game. I sat with Karina and Aurora watching yet another amazing session-- full of many of my favorite talks! The children's choir was angelic! When they began singing, "I am a Child of God", Karina excitedly exclaimed, "It's my song!!" and proceeded to sing along. What a tender moment! I laughed through Elder Wirthlin's talk-- I honestly didn't know he had it in him! I cried through Elder Holland's amazing talk! "There are angels among us. Do not fear. Believe! God will fight our battles and our children's battles and our children's children's battles. Have strong faith. Pray always and be believing." I learned so much about prayer from Elder Bednar's talk--such a simple truth of the gospel and yet there are so many levels to it. And as I sat there looking into my computer screen, I saw Elder Bednar on one side and the reflection of Aurora's little face on the other, smiling as she fell asleep listening to the voice of this apostle. It was such a heavenly moment! Sunday morning, Grant made us all an amazingly yummy breakfast of eggs, sausage, hashbrowns, etc. The Mormon Tabernacle Choir was singing and Karina was rather disappointed. She let us all know, "I want my friend's to sing!" (the Children's choir) We all sat there, all seven of us, listening to conference, listening to God's apostles on the earth today. I was touched by Henry B. Eyring's humility. It always brings me to tears when he gets choaked up. I also loved President Monson's talk! "Enjoy the now. Find joy in the journey! Make the most of today. You will miss the piles of laundry! (WHAT! I find that hard to believe! ;) ) Fill our days with those things that matter most. Express our gratitude always." After the morning session, we made cookies. (Pictures to come) Then we watched the afternoon session. Although I was a little distracted by the cookies and the beautiful little ladies that surrounded me, I still enjoyed it. (I hope to see that one again.) Then I spent the evening reading out of "The Friend" with our girls. When we were done, I started making a funny popping sound with my mouth and a beat with it. Aurora loved it! Sariah joined it and we were all gathered around, when Aurora started totally laughing, more then she has ever laughed before! Of course it was incredibly contagious! It was so adorable!! It was just a really special weekend-- a bit of heaven on earth!

6 comments:

Mike and Julina said...

I completely enjoyed conference also. The words, the music, all of it touched me. We are a blessed people.

Ryan and Leah said...

It was a wonderful weekend! I agree I found it hard to believe that we would miss the piles of laundry also! I love the tender moments with our kids!

Ryan and Leah said...

It was a wonderful weekend! I agree I found it hard to believe that we would miss the piles of laundry also! I love the tender moments with our kids!

Ryan and Leah said...

It was a wonderful weekend! I agree I found it hard to believe that we would miss the piles of laundry also! I love the tender moments with our kids!

Celeste said...

p.s. you've been tagged by me! See my blog to see what to do :)

Elizabeth C said...

I loved reading your experiences with conference. It was so fun to read! I love hearing about your girls and what you thought about conference. I hope that you are printing out these experiences from your blog and putting them in your journal! This is like an online journal for you! :)